Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Can a kettle be re-formed?  (Read 1890 times)

BrendonTW

• Happy Cooker
Can a kettle be re-formed?
« on: December 16, 2014, 04:03:48 PM »
Hey folks.

I have a Weber Kettle than was given to me by my mother-in-law because it was her husbands before he passed. The thing is in pretty good shape. It's the standard black kettle, 22.5". I don't know much else about it, I presume it is the standard one that comes from a big box store. I've only been cooking for a few years but I LOVE using this thing. I can smoke ribs at 250 for 5 hours without adding any charcoal. It's thin metal, but it just doesn't hardly leak! There are a few spots that leak heat a bit which I can see when I've got smoke on the fire, but I've been so pleased with this compared to the horrible Brinkmann I used to use that I haven't worried about it.

The only major problem is that the kettle itself (not the lid) is deformed a bit. It's about half an inch wider side to side than it is front to back. So the lid doesn't rest naturally down on it. I can push it down and it kind of clamps down to the kettle which is actually kind of convenient, but I would rather it fit nicely down on the kettle, and I think it would leak a bit less if it fit well naturally.

Is there any way you guys have been able to straighten out the kettle itself? Any advice is appreciated.

WNC

• WKC Performer
Re: Can a kettle be re-formed?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 04:35:58 PM »
I haven't had to do it to a kettle yet, but I bet you can just give it a little hug, and bend it back it to shape. Just pull the two long sides slightly in until it's round again. I think I remember seeing a post a month or so ago about round tolerances, maybe within a quarter of inch. I'm sure some other guys will be able to chime in more.

Throw up some pics, if it's older you might be sitting on a gem. Welcome to the club!

BrendonTW

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 04:48:05 PM »
I'll give that a try! Should've known to just try the good ol majic of force first! This thing isn't very old - probably less than 10 years. It's got gray plastic handles LOL

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 06:38:03 PM »
Measure the bowl across the lid lip on all sides. Find the widest measurement and give that section a small bear hug towards you then remeasure. I had to hug a few redheads in my garage from time to time. A brownie too

polishmartin

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 08:18:49 PM »
Craig,

I could just see the wife walking in on me while I was "hugging" the kettle. Man I'd never hear the end of it lol.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 06:42:33 PM »
yep, rest one edge of the lid or bowl against your sternum, then reach across with both hands and gently pull it toward you.  Go easy, and take your time, and check the measurements as you go.  It'll be round again (or close enough to fit together nicely).  Do take the time to measure both the bowl and the lid, though, so you know where the problem lies. 
One of the charcoal people.