Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Restoring a dull porcelen enamel top  (Read 2017 times)

rmcmann

• Smokey Joe
Restoring a dull porcelen enamel top
« on: August 12, 2015, 11:52:52 AM »
I have a Genesis 3100 RedHead and was wondering what would be the best way to restore the top of the grill cover. The previous owner had it sitting out in the sun and the top is a bit dull in places. It there a polish or something that I can use to restore this?

swamprb

• WKC Performer
Re: Restoring a dull porcelen enamel top
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 06:26:21 PM »
Treat it just like you would restoring a red kettle.

Usually its the aluminum sides that are the rattiest! I remove them, use a 3M rust remover or wire wheel on a drill and repaint with BBQ Black paint.

My routine on the lid is to clean and degrease, scrape any hard stains with a razor if needed, steel wool, then I use Turtle Was Rubbing Compound and hand buff.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 12:10:17 PM by swamprb »
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Cochise

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 07:38:29 PM »
@rmcmann I used Softscrub on my porcelain gasser lid. Is that the part the are asking about?
SMOKE THIS!!

rmcmann

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 10:54:05 AM »
Yes, that is the part. I've used the Simple green bbq cleaner and it seems to be doing the job if you leave a film on it. otherwise the spots just reappear.

Jet300

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 05:45:57 AM »
I've also used rubbing compound on my red lids with good results. 

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 07:43:51 AM »
0000 steel wool