Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Placing the probe: I've tried to get it right, but remain unsure.  (Read 1749 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
So I know how long the temp probe (Maverick) is and aim for the meat's middle, or reasonably close to it, cognizant of not hitting the cooking grate.

Cooked a "dual layer" pork tenderloin: Bought one tenderloin, opened the package to discover it was cut in half. So, no stuffed tenderloin was going to happen.

But that was plan and had the sausages thawed ... as I fork-poked them (to accept marinade) the skin easily tore and I thought "screw it, I'll lose the skin and deal with lose meat."

So, I placed some of the "stuffing" sausage on top of the 1st tenderloin piece and placed the 2nd tenderloin piece on top and cooked "a sandwich".

Lacked string and couldn't tie it ... so, didn't turn it.

Anyway ... back to the probe. I put it in the top one and when I got to 140 I pulled the probe and put it in the "bottom tenderloin" ... 132. Pulled the whole thing when that one said 140.

Here's the "sandwich" at rest, the top had fallen off the bottom a little.

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Re: Placing the probe: I've tried to get it right, but remain unsure.
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 01:23:19 PM »
That looks delicious!

Not exactly sure if you're asking a question, or for advice ...
The only thing I can say, is to have a Thermapen on hand to make a quick "double-check". They are very accurate.
No two cuts of meat will behave the same when it comes to doneness, even in the same environment.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 05:00:46 PM »
No two cuts of meat will behave the same when it comes to doneness, even in the same environment.

Hmm ... OK. I suppose since most meats are uh, 1-piece it's really a non issue normally. Good to keep in mind, thanks.

Meat was delicious although one of them (the bottom part sitting directly on the grate) was more tender. Soft, really. This was so easy to cook I'll be doing one again for sure---and next time I'll have (or make) a solid piece tied together so that I can turn it. A series of toothpicks holding the 2 pieces together probably would have allowed a turn I suppose.

Marinated in BC Original Bourbon Chicken Marinade, water and red pepper flakes. Towards the end, drizzled on the companion BC Original Bourbon Chicken Grilling and Dipping Sauce. Here's a picture although I got mine at a local grocery store. I would describe it as kinda mild and sweet (yes there's a fair amount of sugar in both.) http://www.amazon.com/Breezy-Spring-Bourbon-Marinade-7-7-Pound/dp/B006GIYGU0

Cooked indirect with 1 full chimney of lump using my SJ Gold for about 30 mins or so, mostly wide open. Lid temps said about 325-350?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 10:18:12 AM »
That looks really good, regardless of how many parts were assembled to get it cooked......P. tenderloin & sausage......some of the major food group right there......nice sounding / looking marinade too !!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 10:42:06 AM »
I think the fat rendering out if the sausage had a lot to do with the bottom piece being more succulent then the top . It's the same idea as using bacon to wrap cuts of pork that tend to dry out on the grill , you discovered some magic :)

I use two meat probes every time , just to be sure , screwed up an expensive cut one time and learned my lesson.

Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs