Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Experimentation vortex chicken thighs  (Read 5486 times)

Jack Fate

• Smokey Joe
Experimentation vortex chicken thighs
« on: November 17, 2015, 05:36:13 AM »
Been doing austin 87 's wing method with excellent results. So figured hey let's try a variation of this on thighs.

First rubbed thighs with a basic rub then a coating of flour with a bit more rid mixed in .

Cooked skin side down @ 600+ for 30-40 min .Flipped thighs and was concerned I was going to over cook skin .So a couple min after flip I shut both vents fully temp never went lower than 450 .10-15 min later I pulled thighs off.

Sorry no finished pics ,looked just like broasted deep fried chicken. 

The best chicken skin I ever had & meat was fully cooked & juicy
Wife said best chicken ever( and she doesn't even eat the skin)
Did a wok stir fry with remaining coals

I was dreading chicken cooks ( boring)

Can't wait to do thighs again

Cheers

Jack Fate

• Smokey Joe
Re: Experimentation vortex chicken thighs
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 07:54:07 AM »
Ok leftovers next day 

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 08:15:09 AM »
Looks good, makes me want a vortex

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 08:19:26 AM »
YES!!!!!  I've done wings, thighs, and legs now and they all have the same result.  The legs and thighs just take a little longer.  The result with really full charcoal baskets isn't to far off though.  I bet you could do tater tots, or frozen french fries along with the chicken using the votrex method and they would come out awesome as well.

I have found, I like to flour then let the chicken sit for 10-15 minutes on the counter before cooking.  I know a lot of people like to flour then chill, but I think the flour needs to absorb some meat sweat to come out right.

Nice cook!!!!!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

THUNDERDOME

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 12:44:55 PM »
Excellent cook Jack. Looks tasty

Jack Fate

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 01:39:03 PM »

[/quote

Large stainless mixing bowl & cut bottom off .I have done 4 of them now . 3 bowl set @ SAMs $13.87. Two of them work , small too small for vortex.

Cheers

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 01:41:22 PM »

[/quote

Large stainless mixing bowl & cut bottom off .I have done 4 of them now . 3 bowl set @ SAMs $13.87. Two of them work , small too small for vortex.

Cheers

Fantastic idea!

Jack Fate

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 01:49:50 PM »
One thing I forgot to mention is that the skin on this chicken is like nothing I ever had off a grill it's like broasted deep fried but not greasy.
Eat it all on the first pass cause it looses that broasted crunch on reheat even in convection oven

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2015, 02:33:21 PM »
YES!!!!!  I've done wings, thighs, and legs now and they all have the same result.  The legs and thighs just take a little longer.  The result with really full charcoal baskets isn't to far off though.  I bet you could do tater tots, or frozen french fries along with the chicken using the votrex method and they would come out awesome as well.

I have found, I like to flour then let the chicken sit for 10-15 minutes on the counter before cooking.  I know a lot of people like to flour then chill, but I think the flour needs to absorb some meat sweat to come out right.

Nice cook!!!!!

Here's the first cook I did on my 26.

The potatoes are "Little Creamers" from the SAM's.  Parboiled for 7-8 minutes.  Coated in EVOO, salt, crushed red, garlic, Italian seasoning.  Finished off on upside-down GrillGrates.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2015, 03:49:37 PM »
Those look awesome!

Lumpy Coal

• WKC Ranger
Experimentation vortex chicken thighs