Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Rotisserie Chicken  (Read 3863 times)

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
Rotisserie Chicken
« on: October 31, 2014, 01:29:21 PM »
I found a Weber Kettle rotisserie on Craig’s List a while back for about $50. I decided to give a try with a couple of chicken. It was very windy in my area that day with a temp around 42 degrees. The Weber temp hung around 350 degrees with one chimney worth of lump charcoal, which was replenished after one hour. The total cooking time was around 2.5 hours and the chickens were done perfectly, juicy and falling off the bone.
I placed a whole lemon inside each chicken and ran the rotisserie through them and that acted as anchors and prevented the chicken from wiggling to the spit.
I also stabbed the lemons with a tip of a knife all over so the juice would keep basting the chicken on the inside. I bet an orange would’ve been good too-next time :)
The lemons were nicely cooked and the juice was a nice addition.

I basted the chicken with a mixture of EVOO, garlic, lemon juice and oregano during the last 30 min of cooking

The rotisserie and the grill have done a great job even though it was windy and cool. I think it was a very successful first run and great investment :)

wrehfield

• WKC Brave
Re: Rotisserie Chicken
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 01:43:50 PM »
Damn fine looking birds.
Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat.

argentflame

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 03:36:22 PM »
Great cook. I love using the roti.

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
Rotisserie Chicken
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 03:55:15 PM »
Those look great. I only use the roti ring when doing whole chickens. It is the best way to cook them hands down.
Even better when you use two at once!

« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 04:44:32 PM by Bbqmiller »

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 06:52:37 PM »
Looks great. Marinade? Rub?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 09:47:47 PM »
Great looking chicken! I so want a roti.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Lumpy Coal

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 05:49:14 PM »

I found a Weber Kettle rotisserie on Craig’s List a while back for about $50. I decided to give a try with a couple of chicken. It was very windy in my area that day with a temp around 42 degrees. The Weber temp hung around 350 degrees with one chimney worth of lump charcoal, which was replenished after one hour. The total cooking time was around 2.5 hours and the chickens were done perfectly, juicy and falling off the bone.
I placed a whole lemon inside each chicken and ran the rotisserie through them and that acted as anchors and prevented the chicken from wiggling to the spit.
I also stabbed the lemons with a tip of a knife all over so the juice would keep basting the chicken on the inside. I bet an orange would’ve been good too-next time :)
The lemons were nicely cooked and the juice was a nice addition.

I basted the chicken with a mixture of EVOO, garlic, lemon juice and oregano during the last 30 min of cooking

The rotisserie and the grill have done a great job even though it was windy and cool. I think it was a very successful first run and great investment :)

Did I see correctly?  You only had coals on one side of the kettle?  Do you find this better?  Why?

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 07:01:49 PM »
Man those look good.  Great Job!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015, 09:27:14 PM »
Looks, great! The roti is right up your alley. @Lumpy Coal on a roti, cooking with fire on one side vs fire on both sides can be different even though the internal kettle temp is the same. The malliard reaction due to radiant heat is very non linear. I'm not necessarily saying one is better than the other.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Lumpy Coal

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2015, 03:28:40 AM »

Looks, great! The roti is right up your alley. @Lumpy Coal on a roti, cooking with fire on one side vs fire on both sides can be different even though the internal kettle temp is the same. The malliard reaction due to radiant heat is very non linear. I'm not necessarily saying one is better than the other.

Looking forward to the experiments.   Different how?

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2015, 02:38:18 AM »
Man those birds look great!
I love my rotisserie, I agree best way to cook a whole chicken. I go with fire on both sides, just split a full chimney, and one bird will take about and hour and a half.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2015, 09:26:07 AM »
Those look so good!! - Mr. Z never disappoints 8)
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2015, 04:35:40 AM »
Those birds look delicious! Nice work!

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2015, 10:32:02 AM »
Great lookin' birds ! ! !

Looks like I'll be squirrellin' away another two bills to send off to Cajun Bandit.  Craigslist around here sucks for Weber stuff.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

Mozfan00

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2015, 01:33:30 PM »
Dope

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

22.5" 2013 Black Daily Cooker "AT" OTG
18.5" 2013 "Bud Light- Carne Asada" Promo kettle