Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Just Potatoes ...  (Read 3011 times)

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Just Potatoes ...
« on: October 26, 2014, 06:54:28 PM »
Well, mostly potatoes ... along with a few additives ...

Nothing too complicated.  This is very easy to do ... Let your imagination take over.

Extremely delicious!

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
Re: Just Potatoes ...
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 07:39:29 PM »
Right on - that looks very good.  I have a few CI frying pans so I am gonna have to try that.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 10:20:10 PM »
mental note: don't check maceggs food pics before going to bed
#sohungry

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 04:44:16 AM »
That's dinner all by itself there Mark !!!

Nice & nice pics, too !!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 06:26:41 AM »
Yummy looking potato's!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 10:54:08 AM »
Damn those look good.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 12:34:47 PM »

Nothing too complicated.  This is very easy to do ... Let your imagination take over.

You're not getting away that easily. Oiled pan, butter chunks on top, bacon and/or bacon bits, plated with gravy? And was the grill the last step, after boiling the taters?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 01:25:22 PM »

You're not getting away that easily. Oiled pan, butter chunks on top, bacon and/or bacon bits, plated with gravy? And was the grill the last step, after boiling the taters?

I did not boil the potatoes.  I tossed the slices in some EVOO, along with some desired seasoning ....

Some dollops of coconut oil on top.  All done indirect.  Rotating the pan once in awhile.

I did not want to over-cook the taters and have them all mushy ... more like el dente.

Then shredded cheddar, and homemade gravy made from the leftover drippings from this thread.

And, yes, that was the meal.   :D
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 01:52:23 PM »
Awesome looking potatoes and a great meal!!

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 06:28:48 AM »
wow.

now i know what i'm doing tonight.

ridiculously great idea eggs. 
I only use kettles with lid bales.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 07:20:16 AM »

I did not boil the potatoes.  I tossed the slices in some EVOO, along with some desired seasoning ....

Some dollops of coconut oil on top.  All done indirect.  Rotating the pan once in awhile.

I did not want to over-cook the taters and have them all mushy ... more like el dente.

Then shredded cheddar, and homemade gravy made from the leftover drippings from this thread.

And, yes, that was the meal.   :D

Wow, sounds even better now. I gotta try it.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Just Potatoes ... THANKS MacEggs
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 04:58:35 PM »
and so I tried it

1) bag of red potatoes, skinned and cut them up
2) two CI skillets, one 10 1/4", one 8"
3) one 22.5" kettle, these are commonly available and come well recommended
4) bagged, tossed taters in EVOO and curry powder(!)
5) "positioned" taters in skillets, by far the hardest part of the operation
6) cut/chopped and fried up some summer sausage (beef)
7) dollops of coconut oil
8 ) sprinkled parsley and savory onto potatos

Setup has 2 firebricks in a gentle "V" arrangement creating a 1/3 heat zone. Skillets and oven thermo fit perfectly. Thermo says about 350 here, just after the oil melted down.

"action shot with G&T" Girl then says, "Daddy is that an old grill? Looks like you haven't cleaned it.  >:( HEY DON'T YOU HAVE HOMEWORK TO DO WHILE I KEEP YOU ALIVE WITH FOOD??

I did soon add about 10 briquets because the grate temp seemed low initially (less than 200 degrees; damn those firebricks block heat!) Kettle solid at 300-325 degrees wide open for about 40-60 mins and then tasted a potato or two. Potatoes yummy; done; pulled off! No actual identifiable curry flavor but a good smoke from the Kingsford Hickory and other charcoal happening.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2014, 05:04:52 PM »
And tomorrow I get to take apart the One Touch / hanger bar / ashcan system.

Cranking it up tonight I noticed it's all hanging by a thread. The crossbar is a zavod aluminum replacement and the One Touch guts are only a year old, so I think I don't have something tightened correctly, or need to bend the cross bar for whatever reason. Vents still close fine however, even if the ashcan dangles weirdly.