Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Kettle temp  (Read 15265 times)

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Kettle temp
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2014, 11:06:38 AM »
Noticed this also:

"I wanted it to be about 275 (the temp I read to cook the turkey at), so I closed the top vent about halfway.  BIG MISTAKE!!!  Came out about 30 minutes later, and temp was down to 215 or so. "

No, leave your vents open, esp. right at the start.......one thing you don't want is to choke the air & snuff or retard the fire.......airflow thru that bell is the magic of a Weber......

What's going on the there is choking off the free flow of air across the fire.....it's kind of a patience game.....pinching your bottom vents, just a little, leaving the top open to exhaust freely, waiting for maybe 15 or so minutes should have put you right where you wanted in that situation.....

It'll be OK......just takes a little practice........please keep on it, it WILL happen well !!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

namtrag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2014, 12:09:24 PM »
Thanks Bucki,  I will try without the baskets this weekend!  Lots of great info, and like you said, I just need to keep on keepin on.  The Weber forgives me every time so far.  It sure is fun figuring it out. 

namtrag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2014, 12:10:32 PM »
Noticed this also:

"I wanted it to be about 275 (the temp I read to cook the turkey at), so I closed the top vent about halfway.  BIG MISTAKE!!!  Came out about 30 minutes later, and temp was down to 215 or so. "

No, leave your vents open, esp. right at the start.......one thing you don't want is to choke the air & snuff or retard the fire.......airflow thru that bell is the magic of a Weber......

What's going on the there is choking off the free flow of air across the fire.....it's kind of a patience game.....pinching your bottom vents, just a little, leaving the top open to exhaust freely, waiting for maybe 15 or so minutes should have put you right where you wanted in that situation.....

It'll be OK......just takes a little practice........please keep on it, it WILL happen well !!!!

I had run the grill for awhile before I closed the vents at all, but I did learn that it doesn't take much of a change in the airflow to change the combustion inside.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2014, 12:24:50 PM »
Cool Beans......maybe take some notations on how you set & what happens....never a bad idea to then be able to look back & remember what went on.....

Mine are basically recorded here @ WKC !!!!

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2014, 12:27:33 PM »
Question for you, are taking your temp at the grate or at the guage on the lid (if you have a lid temp guage)?
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2014, 12:32:38 PM »
Meat Level (<< that's a Technical Term )

The lid ones are fine, but they will ALWAYS be different than the grate, so you need to check & test for the difference so you do in fact know what's happening at the grate..........

namtrag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2014, 12:54:00 PM »
I need to get another thermometer so I can take the temps at grill level as well.  Lowe's here I come!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2014, 01:52:35 PM »
Those little oven ones you can get at the grocery store in the baking equip. dept.

See this also....I tried to re-size it to be readable, might have to copy it & enlarge at home to see it good....

It's from 1956 & physics hasn't changed that much since......

namtrag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2014, 03:34:35 PM »
I see they say leave the top one open and use the bottom vents to lower the temp...I have seen a lot of people who say they do the opposite.  Plus I can't see the bottom vents when stuff is set up :(. The drip pan blocks the view from the top, and the ash catcher blocks the view from the bottom.

Cool to see a brochure from the 50's! It's older than even I am!

Chuck

• WKC Brave
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2014, 06:29:43 PM »
Like most others around here i find closing the top te wrong thing to do more often than not. Only when I'm trying to drastically drop the temp do I close the top vent.

For the bottom vents, I saw a tip on this board some time ago but I don't have a thread link. While the lid is off, and with the vents closed to the far left, open your vent 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and wide open. At each opening, use a sharpie to mark it. You'll find these marks become spaced disproportionately wider as you go wider open and that'll be okay. And as you use your grill you'll find the handle to open the grill becomes a bit looser and therefore the marks more approximate, but it'll give you more control than you have now to know where you're at.
This is a fairly cheap hobby when you consider the time  with family and friends and how many meals are created.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2014, 09:42:53 PM »
^^^^ What Chuck said.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

namtrag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2014, 05:44:39 AM »
Like most others around here i find closing the top te wrong thing to do more often than not. Only when I'm trying to drastically drop the temp do I close the top vent.

For the bottom vents, I saw a tip on this board some time ago but I don't have a thread link. While the lid is off, and with the vents closed to the far left, open your vent 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and wide open. At each opening, use a sharpie to mark it. You'll find these marks become spaced disproportionately wider as you go wider open and that'll be okay. And as you use your grill you'll find the handle to open the grill becomes a bit looser and therefore the marks more approximate, but it'll give you more control than you have now to know where you're at.

Great idea, and will do that next time I cook.  My grill is already pretty loose, so the marks should stay fairly accurate.

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2014, 07:07:36 AM »
I see they say leave the top one open and use the bottom vents to lower the temp...I have seen a lot of people who say they do the opposite.  Plus I can't see the bottom vents when stuff is set up :(. The drip pan blocks the view from the top, and the ash catcher blocks the view from the bottom.

Cool to see a brochure from the 50's! It's older than even I am!

I control my temps mainly with the bottom vents, and a little with the top.  When I first got my Weber I played around with it empty to see how open the vents were at different points when moving the arm, that way I'd have an idea of how open they would be when the grill was filled up.

toddmog

• WKC Brave
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2014, 02:18:01 PM »
I need to get another thermometer so I can take the temps at grill level as well.  Lowe's here I come!

Have you done this yet? Also, have you tried testing your lid thermometer in boiling water and/or ice water?  Two fall baskets of Kingsford Blue gets me at 500 +/- at the dome.  Hotter yet with Royal Oak Lump packed in the baskets nicely...I've also had similar results with Stubbs briquettes. 
2013 22.5 WSM, 2012 Brick Red Performer Platinum, 2012 SJG (Mini WSM), 2011 Q300, 2008 18.5 WSM, 1998 Gas Go Anywhere

namtrag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2014, 06:37:17 AM »
I have not tried the test yet, but am planning on doing it this weekend.  I am with you in that it seems fishy my max temp I ever get is showing 320.   I am also going to get a second thermometer for the grill level.