Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: The "ranch" version of a gasser?  (Read 8186 times)

saxart

• WKC Ranger
The "ranch" version of a gasser?
« on: September 23, 2014, 03:08:07 AM »
Here in the Twin Cities area (Mpls/St. Paul, MN)  we have a GREAT group of WKC members.  Right now there are 8 of us, and our main goal is help each other out.  Whether it's sharing our pics of our weekend cooks, assisting each other with kettle restos, or scanning local CL ads for anything the group is looking for, it seems like we always have something interesting to discuss.

About a month ago one of the members of our group sent out a text message saying, "if anybody has time, you need to jump on this!"   Included was a CL ad for a gasser.   Normally I pass up any gasser, but I had the day off so I sent a message to the seller saying I would take the grill not knowing what I was getting into.

Long story short, an hour later I had the trailer hooked up and was on the way for the 40 minute drive to get there.

Here's what I was after:

Keep in mind at this point I had no idea what this thing was.  I'd heard about the "Summit" line of grills, but had no market value info in my head, so just before leaving I Google searched it.  Turns out a Summit S-650 is a discontinued model that retailed at HD for $2,300!    I literally shook like a leaf the entire 40 minute drive to this lady's house, figuring the grill would be snapped up well before I got there.

When I arrived, the grill was still there, and the lady's son was just disconnecting the propane-tank.  "That doesn't come with the grill" he says.   I think I muttered, "That's fine" as I handed him the money, still tremoring from the reality of this.   The lady was moving from her town house and the son was about to ship off to the Marines a couple weeks later.  He and I chatted a bit about his future, and then he helped me load it on the trailer.  It was all the two of us could do to lift this beast up onto the trailer.

Here it is ready for the ride home:

Once it got home, I didn't have a Marine to help unload it, so we took it apart as it needed a cleaning anyway:

Here she is all cleaned up:

After a good couple hours of cleaning, we fired it up to burn off any remaining cleaning soap or cooking remains:

Then moved it to the normal grilling spot:

We threw a pork tenderloin and some corn on it.  Although the tenderloin looks like a hotdog, it's actually 4.5lbs!

Mmmmm.... 

After that we grilled up some peaches that were soaked in butter and butterscotch schnapps:

Although we're still learning how to do kettle-worthy cooks on a gasser, this thing is incredible.   This entire story would not have happened had it not been for the generous assistance of one of our local members.   

Yet another reason for all us WKC'ers to meet up with other local collectors/enthusiasts and help each other in our hobby.

GRILL ON!!!!!

« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 03:10:08 AM by saxart »
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: The "ranch" version of a gasser?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 03:22:18 AM »
What a great story, great grill and amazing deal.  I saw one for $300 a few months back and thought it was a steal.

Congrats.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 04:09:26 AM »
Holy Toledo!!!! $45 for the top of the line Summit
I think that model retailed for $6000 out here
Great work guys
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

einrej

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 04:14:23 AM »
Wow, great find. Wife liked the peaches.
Family, 1954-55 Weber Bros Metal Works Kettle,
1979 A-code Redhead 22, 1983 E-code Black 22, & a Rowley Miracle Fire Maker

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 04:20:34 AM »
Excellent score!

But here's the "ranch"  version of the weber gasser. http://virtualwebergasgrill.com/2014/08/vieluxe-the-weber-luxury-grill-youve-probably-never-heard-of/
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 04:24:14 AM by Nate »

fedex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 04:22:13 AM »
Congrats, Awesome find.  I want some peaches now.
1 Black Limited Edition Kettle & Wife Model #1962

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 05:46:02 AM »
Wow. Just... wow.
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

jmeier64

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 06:40:40 AM »
There isn't a day that goes bay that we don't let Art know about the sins of crossing over to the darkside of Weber :P But that is not the end of the chain of events either. Art had a mint 2005 Genesis 2 burner, with enclosed cart that he passed on to me for a steal of a price of $125.00 and that included a big pile of cherry logs as well as a SJG in great shape. That deserves it's own story I guess so I really should get on that
First up a nice 3 wheeler red head

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 07:39:16 AM »
"if anybody has time, you need to jump on this!"
Next time my message will be "I'm on it, taking PTO to get this bad boy!"

LOL! Congrats again Art and welcome to the dark side of having a gasser in the stable.
You forgot in all this you purchased a spit for it...Even accessorizing it.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 08:08:08 AM »
Deal of the day right there!

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 09:45:11 AM »
Holy smokes, that's an absolute steal!!!   And all it needed was a good clean up ?  Didn't have to replace anything ??   Freaking amazing !!!!  I see the rotisserie attachment, did it come with the actual rotisserie ?

EDIT:   Duh, now see that the ad says it didn't have the rotisserie, and also see where  glrasmussen says you bought one.   

Guess I was still in shock over your score!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 10:05:24 AM by demosthenes9 »

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 09:56:23 AM »
Yup, Amazing!
Dude, relax your chicken.

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 02:20:57 PM »
Wow, amazing score Art!
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

coldkettle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2014, 03:35:25 PM »
Nice score! 

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2014, 05:54:48 PM »
Thanks for the comments guys.

Yep, all it needed was a cleaning.  Wasn't even really that bad.  I can't tell if she purchased it with "daddy's money", and didn't care, or if maybe it was her ex-husband's grill, and she just wanted to dump it.  Either way, I wasn't complaining!

The Roti did not come with it, but I realized that our standard kettle roti-motor fit it, so all we needed was a spit rod of the correct length.  Weber sent us a new one just last week.   :)

Picks will be posted once we have a chance for a roti cook....
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.