Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Beef Cook - Short Ribs and Chuck Roast  (Read 1595 times)

pilfjd

• Happy Cooker
Beef Cook - Short Ribs and Chuck Roast
« on: September 04, 2014, 08:45:20 AM »
I wanted to smoke all labor day weekend but I didn't get a chance until the day after labor day. I got off to a late start, one of the reasons being that the puppy was really naughty (she's almost 5 but will always be a puppy to me).  The pup stole a raw rib off my board while I was distracted so the wife and I had to chase her around the kitchen. I'm lucky in that the wife trained her not to be food aggressive, so we were able to take it away once we caught her but she'll make you work for it.  Anyway, I prepped the beef "Texas Style" - equal parts salt and pepper with a little bit of garlic and onion powder mixed in. The membrane was pulled off the short ribs as well.

The cook went well. There were threats of rain, so I moved to cook in front of the garage. I followed the standard protocol - filled the SN full with Kingsford blue and a chunk of applewood. I took out 12 briquets and lit up. Temps stayed steady between 235-250 for most of the cook.  I refilled the coals and water pan every hour. The ribs took around 5 hours to cook and the 3 lbs chuck took 6-7, which surprised me. I didn't spritz or mop or wrap this time around. A nice bark formed on both the ribs and the chuck, but the chuck, while entirely edible and quite delicious, was slightly on the dry side. Both tasted great, and I'm very pleased with the results.  I may have to revisit trimming the ribs because there is gristle near the bone that doesn't render out.  I normally trim this after braising in the oven and before serving, but after smoking I didn't - I served them as-is.  I'm still undecided on the proper technique.  If anyone has any advice, I'd love to hear it!

I just had leftover re-heated chuck roast for dinner - a pulled beef sandwich - I don't know what it is but it seems like I always enjoy leftover BBQ better than right off the cooker.

Anyway, here are the requisite pictures:

1 hour in

Ribs almost done

Pulled beef chuck!

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
Re: Beef Cook - Short Ribs and Chuck Roast
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 10:05:35 AM »
Looks very good!
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 10:43:02 AM »
Looks very good!

You got that right on JC......excellent pull out on the beef there, pilfjd !!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

pilfjd

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 05:09:35 PM »
Thanks 1buckie, JC!

Taz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 11:47:30 PM »
You're making me hungry at 1 AM. Please stop it ; ) it looks great.

I got into braising and stewing the last couple of years and those almost always tasted better the next day. The one exception was Hot and Spicy Italian Drip Beef. That tasted better right out of the pot. Damn that was good.