Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: What to do with NIB 18.5  (Read 2499 times)

Uncle JJ

• WKC Brave
What to do with NIB 18.5
« on: August 22, 2014, 11:17:18 AM »
So, I bought a 1988 black 18.5 NIB on Ebay.  Paid $61 - about $100 all-in with shipping.  It's in transit.  Need some advice.

My dad asked me to find him a good charcoal grill, and I really think the best one for him is an older green or blue performer.  I think he'd love the gas start.  I just missed on a perfect one, and no tellin' when another will come along.

So, I'm thinking of giving him this NIB '88.  This will be his primary cooker.  1988 was my freshman year of college, so that might be meaningful to him. 

Am I crazy to put this pristine grill into play as an every day cooker?  Should I keep looking for a performer and keep the '88 in its untouched form?  Or to hell with that, this grill was meant to cook, let's fire her up & make some memories?

I think I know the answer.  What would YOU do?

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
Re: What to do with NIB 18.5
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 11:46:03 AM »
If it was a yellow, or other rare color, I'd maybe keep her clean... other than that, I say "fire her up & make some memories"! (and some nice, juicy steaks!)
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 11:57:28 AM »
Put some fire to it.....

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 01:40:52 PM »
18 is pretty small for an everyday

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 04:45:41 PM »
Is it just him, if so i would give it to him as his every day cooker, one can do a lot with an 18.5 just ask buckie! If it isn't just him keep it and keep looking for the Performer.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 10:03:26 PM »
Are you collecting or just cooking? If just cooking it might be a good idea to trade up to a OTG/Performer. It will be alot more useful and you'll make someone real happy with a NIB '88.

If it were me, I would keep it NIB and find a used kettle to cook on. I would get more out of preserving that piece of Americana than putting a fire in it. It cooks similarly to other kettles. Good luck with whatever you decide. Pics, please when you get a chance. 8)
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Uncle JJ

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 09:29:59 AM »
Well, I decided to let this baby do what it was born to do.  I gave the grill to my dad this weekend.  He was thrilled and amazed that it was brand new.  He lives alone, so the size is just what he wanted.  The pretty little gal seemed happy to be out of the box and ready to get to work.  (I threw in some other goodies I picked up at Target clearance - cover, tools, tool holder, apron).  All-in-all, a really fun moment with my dad.  He's already fired the thing up and grilled some steaks.

(I'd attach a photo, but I can't figure out how to do it)

Thanks for all of your input!
JJ

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 10:00:49 PM »
Well, I decided to let this baby do what it was born to do.  I gave the grill to my dad this weekend.  He was thrilled and amazed that it was brand new.  He lives alone, so the size is just what he wanted.  The pretty little gal seemed happy to be out of the box and ready to get to work.  (I threw in some other goodies I picked up at Target clearance - cover, tools, tool holder, apron).  All-in-all, a really fun moment with my dad.  He's already fired the thing up and grilled some steaks.

(I'd attach a photo, but I can't figure out how to do it)

Thanks for all of your input!
JJ

Sounds like a great time! Here's how to post pics: http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/trading-post/how-to-post-pictures-here-at-the-wkc/ do you have the pics uploaded already? We're keen to help if you can get them up. :)

Uncle JJ

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 04:21:54 AM »
See if this works.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 04:35:23 AM »
Yes, that works!
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2014, 05:28:50 AM »
That works! Not bad for the first go. Is that handle unfinished? imo your handle is "upside-down" I like to read my vent and handle logo from the same side but that's just me.

Uncle JJ

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2014, 09:04:15 AM »
Yeah, both handles are unfinished.  I may stain and seal them.  The handle was attached - You're right, it's upside down!  I didn't notice.  It surprised me that the logo was a bit worn, even though it clearly came from an unopened box.