Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Jumbo Joe - My Quest for Info, and Weber's Response  (Read 2941 times)

Eapples

• WKC Brave
Jumbo Joe - My Quest for Info, and Weber's Response
« on: June 13, 2014, 03:51:44 AM »
Hello, Everyone:

In a previous post I talked about the problem I'm having trying to find a store that carries the Jumbo Joe.  All of you who responded, thankfully, have done so with a bundle of useful information.  (I was going to say "buttload of information," but I didn't think anyone would see the humor or appreciate the pun).

Anyway, I contacted Weber's customer service with my question, about the problem with the clogged lower vent and whether the company was planning any "improvements."  Here's my inquiry and Weber's response --

I am researching the Jumbo Joe.  I'd like to buy one to use when we travel to visit friends/relatives up north.

The online reviews of the Jumbo Joe are mixed, but generally positive.  The chief concern is the bottom vent.  Users have commented that it seems to clog on a regular basis, and that care should be taken to reduce the amount of charcoal, or to use a charcoal that produces less ash.

I know that Weber routinely updates and upgrades its products for everyone's benefit.  Given the concerns with the lower vent on the Jumbo Joe, is Weber considering any redesigns?  Does Weber have any workarounds to deal with the issue of the clogged lower vent?

Thank you for the information.

Thank you for the email. To help prevent this from happening, you do have to make sure that the ashes are all cleaned form the bottom after each use.  If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at 1-800-446-1071.  Our customer service hotline is open 7 days a week from 7am – 10pm CST.  Please have your serial number available when you call.

The company ignored my question about any planned upgrades/improvements...intentional or an oversight?

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
Re: Jumbo Joe - My Quest for Info, and Weber's Response
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 04:20:40 AM »
If anything, i would say oversight. The folks who answer the phones and respond to email are usually the last to know when it comes to things like that.
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

coldkettle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 04:27:03 AM »
Also like any company that manufactures products, I'm sure they don't want to let out to many details on future products while they are still selling current products. 

I love the smell of a evening cook...

AnakiMana

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 04:33:10 AM »
This happens to me a lot. I'll write in and try to get all my questions answered all at once. You'll probably have to ask again and keep the question really simple and direct. Partly it's because Support is who answered, and they probably don't know much about the research & development side of the company. But maybe if you ask again, they would forward the message to someone who knows. If their policy even allows them to discuss unannounced products.

I've written to Weber just to give suggestions to the developers. They responded in thanks and told me they valued my input and passed it to the appropriate department for consideration. I thought that was really cool.

Sent via smoke signals from my Weber kettle

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 05:00:05 AM »
I just bought a Jumbo Joe and have not had a chance to try it. After reading about the vent  concerns, I was wondering if I could add the one touch cleaning system from 18" kettle?
This way, I can move the handle from the outside during cooking to move the ashes around or make them fall through the vent.
They sell the parts on Amazon for bout $12. I'm sure they can be altered to fit...
Any thoughts on that?
http://www.amazon.com/Weber-7443-2-Inch-One-Touch-Cleaning/dp/B005LVAOHW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402663683&sr=8-1&keywords=Weber+7443
Free Image Hosting

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 05:57:31 AM »
The bowl shape of the 18.5" kettle isn't the same as the JJ (new or old design, I don't think) so I wouldn't expect the One Touch blades to fit.

Regarding inquiries, no company is going to reveal future plans or products over the phone or email, even if the person knew them. That would be crazy and ultimately hurtful to the business.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Eapples

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 11:06:44 AM »
Regarding inquiries, no company is going to reveal future plans or products over the phone or email, even if the person knew them. That would be crazy and ultimately hurtful to the business.

You're probably right.  But I wonder which would be more harmful, leaking the possibility of a product modification, or having angry customers who just purchased the older model right before the release of the new model.  That was the thrust of my inquiry, not that I wanted an inside scoop on the next upgrade, but that I didn't want to spend the money on the older model if I know that a newer model is about to be released.