Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Am I a fool?  (Read 1773 times)

Beef

• Smokey Joe
Am I a fool?
« on: June 13, 2014, 02:54:15 PM »

I saw a brownie in sorry shape on Craigslist last night, offered for $20.  It looked pretty badly bruised, but I decided to pick it up.  This is my first weber of color.

I was texting the seller, and gave them my ETA, but when I arrived, they were running late and felt just terrible.  She directed me to the back yard, and told me to just take it.  I was overjoyed, but it will take alot of cleanup.

These are the sellers pics, and it is disassembled right now.  I will likely put it in a a hefty trash bag and have the wife instruct my daughters to assemble it for me on Sunday.

C code, 1981

I have no intention of painting the numerous bruises, but I will take tips if you wish.

curious why my links change into splashurl. . . .hmm
Numerous pre 79 kettles
Weber Seville Cart
One rare 1960's hooded rotissery grill, Like your dad had

AnakiMana

• WKC Brave
Re: Am I a fool?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 03:07:39 PM »
You're no fool - and it's sweet that you got it for free! Those bruises give it character... Like freckles or spots on a ladybug. I'm jealous - it even has the twist ash pan and handles look pretty good. It'll be a great cooker and still looks good to me. It stands out from the typical black kettles still.

Sent via smoke signals from my Weber kettle

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 04:02:38 PM »
Nice! Good to see a grizzled veteran in good hands. It will never look pristine, but cleaned up it will look good and will cook as good as any new grill.

I recommend seasoning any exposed rusty metal with some canola oil (or similar) like you would do with cast iron. That should help forestall further deterioration.
kettles, smokers...

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 04:08:04 PM »
Nice save no matter what condition it was.  Being that its free is only a bonus.  Shine her up, and go get some steaks!  Nice job Beef!!!
Kettle collector AND cooker!

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 04:39:03 PM »
Free is good. I just cleaned up the free E code I picked up on Tuesday.

blackdog043

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 05:36:00 PM »
After you clean it up and oil the handles it will look like a different grill, nice score!!!
Bill    Looking for a Yellow

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 05:44:15 PM »
I like these old kettle that have a few beauty marks. I think they have more character than the pristine ones to some extent.

argentflame

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 06:07:43 PM »
That is a beauty. Nice pickup.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2014, 08:28:11 AM »
Well if you don't want it.......... ;D  Free is good!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2014, 08:54:31 AM »
I think if I had one without battle scars , I'd be afraid to use it :) great rescue and totally cool of the seller to make it right with you . Enjoy

Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

Cuda Dan

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2014, 10:40:54 AM »
Well Beef it is a good score for free and a good cleaning it will look better. But now that you are into colored kettles you will soon have like me 6 red ones. hahah
So you can corner the market in brown's. Just having some fun.
Have a great day Beef.

Dan
Two '86 Red OT 22's (sold one G), '85 Red OT 22, '88 Red OT 22's, '93 Red MT 22 (aka Donna), '93 Red SS Performer (non-gas and non-casters), '02 Green OTP( my brother in law has it now), '04 Green OTG

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2014, 02:28:31 PM »
I think if I had one without battle scars , I'd be afraid to use it :) great rescue and totally cool of the seller to make it right with you . Enjoy

I feel the exact same way.  I'm too nervous to use the mint ones, lately I have been trying to trade my flawless ones for a little more "seasoned" ones if you will...
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2014, 02:29:43 PM »
Oh and I did forget to say, "yes" Beef you are indeed a fool, but we like that about you....
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 02:32:01 PM by zavod44 »
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X