Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Side Ribs And Buttermilk Wings Before Work  (Read 950 times)

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
Side Ribs And Buttermilk Wings Before Work
« on: June 07, 2014, 11:42:30 AM »
Gotta work tonight but also wanted to get in some Q so got out early to the Asian supermarket for some deals ($15 for the wings and ribs).  Got a whole side rack which I cut up into 5 pieces.  About 2 hours into smoking at 300f or so:

The ribs were foiled with a combo of parkay, brown sugar, honey and a cider vinegar/bbq sauce mix for about 30 minutes after the 2 hour 15 minute point.  Here they are after removing from foil and sauced:

Wings were marinated in a mix of buttermilk and Bad Byrons Butt Rub (a snazied up version of Lowry's it strikes me as) for about 5 hours.  On the Jumbo Joe after 20 minutes:

Ribs finished glazing:

These were mostly fall off the bone.  The wife ate 5 bones so I didn't do too bad....woulda like to have seen a deeper smoke ring though:

These wings turned out great.  Did them off the heat with white oak chunklets in the mix till I had get ready for work - about 45 minutes at 340f or so - then rotated them over the coals.  Here they are just before coming off the grill:

The wings drank up the buttermilk and as the chicken was coming to a finish it welled up under the skin and was bubbling.  The result was some "Damn Good Served Here" chicken.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 07:55:42 PM by MrHoss »
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

~Mark~

• Smokey Joe
Re: Side Ribs And Buttermilk Wings Before Work
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 05:40:26 AM »
Good golly does that look good.
21.5" Performer, 18.5" Silver turned Gold, 18" Weber Smokey Mountain, Smokey Joe Silver, and an E-210 Spirit Gasser.

HankB

• WKC Performer
Re: Side Ribs And Buttermilk Wings Before Work
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 05:29:32 PM »
I wouldn't sweat the smoke ring. It looks nice but the flavor matters more. If you each ate 5 bones then they hit the spot, no!

Buttermilk is interesting. I used some with some beef liver today.

Nice work!
kettles, smokers...