Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Asking the pros??? Brine buckets.  (Read 4958 times)

Peaspurple

• WKC Ranger
Asking the pros??? Brine buckets.
« on: June 12, 2014, 02:38:07 PM »
I have started to brine my birds more and more. I think it adds to the juiciness and tenderness. Well today I decided to grab a 2 gallon bucket and lid from my local ace hardware for just such brining. I got home and started thinking. Is it food safe? Does it really matter? And am I or my friends and family gonna grow any extra limbs?? It does say HDPE 2 on the bucket and lid. I know this is just the plastic that was used. Any help would be appreciated. I need to get this bird in some brine for a cook tomorrow.
A Wonderful Family!!!

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
Asking the pros??? Brine buckets.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 03:03:28 PM »
I have a couple different sizes of cambro containers. They are food safe, and are available in different sizes. I use this size for two whole chickens.

Cambro 12SFSPP190 Polypropylene CamSquares Food Storage Container, 12-Quart, Translucent by Cambro http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001C3YY3I/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_DfJMtb0X075S5

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..

Troy

• Statesman
Re: Asking the pros??? Brine buckets.
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 03:57:51 PM »
i used to use a 5 gallon bucket. home depot here sells food grade buckets, although back in IL they didn't (at least in rockford)
You can get a food safe bucket from a fast food place, just ask the manager. Arby's charged me $1 for a bucket.
(and yes, you should be using food grade plastic, or at least lining the bucket with a food grade brine bag)

Nowadays I use a 5 gallon water cooler (with spigot and everything)
http://www.amazon.com/Igloo-Gallon-Seat-Beverage-spigot/dp/B000FDXEN2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402617401&sr=8-1&keywords=5+gallon+cooler

It's better than the bucket because it will actually stay cold (just add some ice cubes)
Putting a 5 gallon bucket in the fridge SUCKS.

Ted B

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 04:17:38 PM »
I picked up a couple of three gallon buckets with sealable lids from s local bakery. First couple brines taste like Bavarian creme frosting...:-[

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 04:17:48 PM »
I use a 5 gallon pail that had grape juice in it that is used for wine making.
Check a wine making place. I got mine for free.

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 04:29:31 PM »

I got several sizes I  think 1, 2 & 3-1/2 gal. from when my daughter worked in the bakery / deli of a local grocery.....

Try asking there, the frosting & other stuff for the bakery is foodsafe & some of the base products they use in deli also & they come in smaller sizes than 5 gallon !!!

I picked up a couple of three gallon buckets with sealable lids from s local bakery. First couple brines taste like Bavarian creme frosting...:-[

.. Mine didn't.... I feel cheated...... :'(
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 05:22:36 PM »
+1 for checking at a bakery.  They are usually happy to give them away for free.
One of the charcoal people.

teerhardy

• WKC Brave
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2014, 02:44:30 AM »
Firehouse Subs will sell you one for less than $5 and the money goes to local firehouses. Win Win.
Grey 22.5" OTS H
Copper 22.5" OTG... that's right I turned copper into gold.
Black 22.5" SS Performer

toddmog

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2014, 07:59:23 PM »
I have the Briner Junior pictured above. I bought it since the larger one wouldn't fit in my fridge. It's big enough for 1 whole bird, or about 20 legs, or 4-5 quarters...not all at once. Most of the time it meets my needs for a family of 4. If I need more space, I have a large Rubbermaid/Tupperware like container that will hold a couple whole birds. I did 8 large quarters in it today.
2013 22.5 WSM, 2012 Brick Red Performer Platinum, 2012 SJG (Mini WSM), 2011 Q300, 2008 18.5 WSM, 1998 Gas Go Anywhere

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2014, 10:07:30 AM »
If you're unsure about the safety of the bucket, get some turkey roasting bags and use one of those. A side benefit is that you can close up the bag and pile ice on top to keep the bird cold if you cannot fit it in the refrigerator. (I do that in a cold corner of the basement in winter - not sure if some ice on top would do the job in warm weather.) Melting ice will not dilute your brine.
kettles, smokers...

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2014, 11:29:59 AM »
Large ice chest for multiple chickens or turkeys and I also have the wine/ beer making bucket with spigot, makes it easy to drain.

Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs