Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Vasconia 32 quart $19  (Read 11321 times)

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
Re: Vasconia 32 quart $19
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2014, 07:32:55 PM »

dazzo - I had the same questions and after lots of research and thought, I highly recommend doing exactly what this guy did, including reuse of the pot lid.  It is strong, seals well, and has great ventilation.  Go with the grate/clay saucer combo and you won't be sorry.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/155130/building-a-mini-weber-smokey-mountain-in-texas-mini-wsm

Winz

That's a neat thread Winz.  It's funny, that guy has a neat stencil on his smoker.   Why couldn't there be a WKC stencil like that?   It could either be an actual decal you could buy, or just a PDF of the file that you could print out on contact paper and cut out yourself.  (hint, hint...)

Dood, you've been hacked !

;D

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2014, 07:36:31 PM »
LOL!
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2014, 05:17:15 PM »
RE the debate between cut bottom or holes, here is my story.

OK, so a few years ago I acquired a SJG bottom and SJS lid which was perfect for building a mini smoker.
my original config was a few holes on the bottom for concern of making it unstable with a big hole.  I also used the steamer platform with a terra catta plate.  shown below, it worked fine for the SJG bottom because there was a lot of air flow.  One draw back was I could not put a rack on the lip and lost a few inches of space.

This config worked, until I got a SJS bottom and I could not get the temp above 200 so now to my reconfig.

Cut out bottom and install long bolts below the lip

12 inch pizza pan and a few nuts and bolts to keep it from moving all over.

With the addition of better air flow I get a few more inches on my bottom rack.

I like my mini so much I built a second one, haven't cooked with the new changes but I don't see why it will not work.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"