Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Vasconia 32 quart $19  (Read 11320 times)

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
Vasconia 32 quart $19
« on: May 27, 2014, 07:12:13 AM »
This is the preferred steamer pot for building a "Mini WSM" from a Smokey Joe and it's the lowest price that I've ever seen on it.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Vasconia-32-Quart-Aluminum-Steamer/10756126

Here's a pretty one...(might be Chad's or Phil's)

« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 03:19:10 PM by DirectDrive »

Winz

• WKC Ranger
Re: Vasconia 32 quart $19
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 09:01:40 AM »
I recently purchased 2 of the Vasconias for Mini WSM projects from Walmart on this deal. I agree, it is an excellent price. 

Fired up the first one this weekend - the Vasconia is a perfect fit.  No leaks at all.  if you are going to build a mini, this is the right pot to use.

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 11:13:57 AM »
Here's a pretty one...(might be Chad's)

So that's what my garage floor looked like before it was littered with Weber parts and kettles  ;)

I use my mini all the time and just love the thing! So much so that I think I'll grab another Vasconia to keep on standby - Cheers for the heads up.
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 11:25:22 AM »
I've looked at different plans to do this.

What plans / setups do you guys like?

Dude, relax your chicken.

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 12:17:39 PM »
Dazzo,

Here are some links that I used.  The first one is our own Bman's project.  I really liked the way he approached the paint job, and the lid hanger idea is a good one:

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?39966-My-*WEBER*-mini-build

I also used this one.  The lid reuse idea is solid, and I used in when building "project venison".  I think it makes the pot stronger and it certainly seals well:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/155130/building-a-mini-weber-smokey-mountain-in-texas-mini-wsm

Winz

SixZeroFour

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 12:51:49 PM »
^^ Two great links there. I find it's best to research a bunch and chose the setup that you think would work best for you. I went a slightly different route with mine, here's a link if your interested:

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?45708-My-Mini-WSM-build-complete-with-flying-saucer
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 01:15:49 PM »
Yeah, of all the research I've done, other than paint, the biggest difference seems to be in the different diffuser setups.

Thanks guys.

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 02:22:58 PM »
Yeah, of all the research I've done, other than paint, the biggest difference seems to be in the different diffuser setups.

Thanks guys.

Grate elevations ?

3 point or 4 point suspension ?

1/4-20, 12-24 or 10 -24 suspension bolts ?

How wide of a lip to leave after the cut ?

Those are a few more to ponder.

Edit:

I believe Chad reported that the IMUSA pot required some re-shaping at the top lip to get the SJ lid to fit.
Most Vasconia 32 quart users report a perfect fit, top and bottom.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 02:31:38 PM by DirectDrive »

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 02:24:24 PM »
I recently purchased 2 of the Vasconias for Mini WSM projects from Walmart on this deal. I agree, it is an excellent price. 

Fired up the first one this weekend - the Vasconia is a perfect fit.  No leaks at all.  if you are going to build a mini, this is the right pot to use.

Winz

Nice Mini and back drop !

Looks like Eastern WA or OR ?

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 02:35:55 PM »
Nice Mini and back drop !

Thank you!

Looks like Eastern WA or OR ?

Lake Tahoe.

Winz

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 03:34:21 PM »

Thanks guys.

Grate elevations ?

Edit:

I believe Chad reported that the IMUSA pot required some re-shaping at the top lip to get the SJ lid to fit.

Those don't bother me (yet I guess), it's the cut/holes/diffuser that's got me going for the moment.

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2014, 03:48:00 PM »

Thanks guys.

Grate elevations ?

Edit:

Those don't bother me (yet I guess), it's the cut/holes/diffuser that's got me going for the moment.

Yep, first order of business is "Do I drill a bunch of holes or cut out the bottom ?"
Most of the reports I've seen indicate that cutting out the bottom yields the best performance.

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2014, 05:56:53 PM »

dazzo - I had the same questions and after lots of research and thought, I highly recommend doing exactly what this guy did, including reuse of the pot lid.  It is strong, seals well, and has great ventilation.  Go with the grate/clay saucer combo and you won't be sorry.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/155130/building-a-mini-weber-smokey-mountain-in-texas-mini-wsm

Winz

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2014, 06:59:57 PM »

dazzo - I had the same questions and after lots of research and thought, I highly recommend doing exactly what this guy did, including reuse of the pot lid.  It is strong, seals well, and has great ventilation.  Go with the grate/clay saucer combo and you won't be sorry.

Winz

That's a good thread, although I can't wrap my head around how re-using the lid buys you another 1" of elevation.
In the pics it looks like it is just laminated to the pot's bottom.
Maybe it's the lid's lip that keeps the pot from sinking down that 1" ?

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2014, 07:23:26 PM »

Winz

That's a neat thread Winz.  It's funny, that guy has a neat stencil on his smoker.   Why couldn't there be a WKC stencil like that?   It could either be an actual decal you could buy, or just a PDF of the file that you could print out on contact paper and cut out yourself.  (hint, hint...)
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.