Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Hyena Brisket w/ TaterZilla .......................  (Read 8037 times)

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Hyena Brisket w/ TaterZilla .......................
« on: May 25, 2014, 07:28:04 PM »
  So the wife's been pestering me for awhile (months, actually) to do up a London Broil......where on the cow do this stuff come from?

I haven't done one in probably 13 years & I didn't have a fun time of it then........... ::)

So she just shows up with one this AM & I'm stuck doing what I've come to call "Hyena Brisket" as that's what this particular cut of shoe leather seems to resemble.............

There it is on the left.....next to some of the lump that will come to roast it.............. :o

She fixed up a pan of fresh corn, poblano & orange bell peppers, spices & butter......this was up on the grate whilst "TaterZilla" was roasting down in the coals....this thing musta weighed 9 lbs. even though I forgot to get out the scale.....S&P olive oil, in foil.......

there it is hiding.....as long as one side of the flip grate....came out of an ordinary bag of ordinary potatoes....whoda thunk it?

Well, by the time TaterZilla's givin' it up & getting to 185 or so, the coals are taking a bit of a nose dive & so I added some lump....

waited a bit w/ the lid off & set on said Hyena brisket, having been injected w/ Cajun butter & liberally slapped down w/ Big Ron's Hint of Houston......

surprize !!
It's not enough heat, quite, to get the wife's description of seared & somehow crusty, so I take the steak OFF THE GRILL & dump the whole rest of the coffee can of lump chips in & get out the sear grate.................

we gettin' there, yet?

Hot enough for ya, darlin?

Screw it....grate it & plate it !!!!

Some magical, chemical, scientific kinda thing must of happened while it was sitting off to the side & the sear grate was heating up, 'cause this was, BY FAR, the finest hyena brisket I've ever done !!!

Plated, with 1/2 of TaterZilla...............

Here's the 'Zilla compared to an ordinary EX. LARGE baker:

Oh, & droop test works the same for hyena........

Now, where's that strawberry pie?

« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 08:39:40 AM by 1buckie »
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
Re: Hyena Brisket w/ TaterZilla .......................
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 07:59:40 PM »
That is the nicest looking hyena brisket I have ever seen buckie, TaterZilla is prolly the biggest freak of a tater, looks like a 3 pounder to me.

AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 08:08:55 PM »
Great cook as usual and a fun read. I'm just glad I got to see that Tweety plate again. :D It sounds like you basically did it tri tip style with a reverse sear. I'm glad it worked out.

argentflame

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 10:13:06 PM »
Awesome cook. The Hyena brisket looks perfect. That is a tater on steroids.

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 03:00:49 AM »
Always love reading your posts, Buckie.  Looks delicious.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 06:31:04 AM »

... Some magical, chemical, scientific kinda thing must of happened while it was sitting off to the side & the sear grate was heating up ...

Wondering if this kind of intermission allows the meat to recuperate some, so as to take on the final heat to better effect? I don't know much about cooking meats ... but nor do I recall reading anything that supports the supposition I just typed. Your thoughts?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 07:51:38 AM »

TX, Lance......if the tater comparison doesn't tell the tale, look at the large stover burner next to it......

There was a guy who had a small BBQ place using the sandwich shop area built into a gas station near here that used to do very large BBQ taters......but they were never this big........ :D

TX, Mr. Duke, kinda like that, only the dwell did something different to it............

TX, Argent !!!

Fun w/ Food !!!!

TX, MD !!!!

Very tastey, the meat was almost melt in your mouth......never cooked one like this & always dreaded even trying before.......... >:(

TX, A-t-S.........not quite sure.....I'll tend toward the magical as opposed to the scientific, however ................... 8)

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014, 02:55:03 PM »
That sliced beef pic is amazing! Everything looks delicious, as usual.

Never seen that cut of beef around here. Might be called something different.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2014, 03:54:43 PM »
Looks yummy!
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2014, 04:44:59 PM »

Mark, it's actually a style of cut & cooking.....if I remember, it can be cut from various pieces, but usually top round.....don't know, let's ask the Meat Man ~~~>

http://www.askthemeatman.com/london_broil.htm

According to him, I cut it wrong..... :-[

still was like beef flavored butter......was griping & moaning about having to fiddle w/ the cook & it being wrecked, basically projecting absolute disaster & the wife says: "well,think positive & hope for the best....", right before I cut it......gee whiz, not so bad !!!!!!

TX, JC !!!!

blackdog1101

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2014, 06:32:40 PM »
London Broil is typically a flank steak.
Performer OTS
Smokey Joe
Go Anywhere

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2014, 08:36:14 PM »

Yeah, blackdog.....I see people do this style with flank, out here in the stores it's usually the round & that's all it says on the package:  London Broil.....flank would probably be easier to work with....... 

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2014, 03:47:40 AM »
Looks like some tasty Hyena there Buckie!  That was a big arse tater too!  So how long did you end up cooking that slab of meat?
Kettle collector AND cooker!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2014, 06:12:58 AM »
Looks like some tasty Hyena there Buckie!  That was a big arse tater too!  So how long did you end up cooking that slab of meat?

Not really sure, maybe 15 or so minutes (9 /6) on the first set of coals, then 4 minutes (3/1) on the sear grate?

I kinda go into a time warp when things look like they're going south.....paying more attention to what it looks like than the clock........... :o

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2014, 06:54:25 PM »
Good lookin' cook !
That Hyena looks tasty.