Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Bacon Jam...................  (Read 1635 times)

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Bacon Jam...................
« on: April 13, 2014, 08:40:23 PM »

here's a fun one.....a little time consuming, but not bad.....a lot of it is just letting it bubble along while other things are happening................

Fixin's:

1-1/2# bacon, chopped pretty small
1 brown or Spanish onion (pungent is better, this time)
            chopped small
1/3 to 1/2 bulb of garlic, minced
1/2 cup strong brewed coffee
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup, packed dark brown sugar
1 TBL red chili flakes ( I used Calif. chili powder, as I don't like the flakes)
1 to 1-1/2 tsp allspice (clove, cinnamon, nutmeg, equal parts)

I set up like so, for a low heat cook....

1st, gently sweat the onion/ garlic down in a small amount of bacon grease..........

Then, add liquids & powders, except for the bacon & hit a boil for a short time 2~5 minutes will do, just to get things mixed & all hot & bothered............

I did this in the house, but it could be done higher heat on a second kettle.......

The bacon gets par-cooked to less than crisp, so it will still have some available cooking time to take on the other flavors.........this I did by deep frying it to 2/3's done, as I already had the deep fryer going...............
Could be accomplished in a skillet or a griddle or open grilling, just don't go all the way to 'done', cook then chop small & add..............

Add bacon into the mix.............

& cook low (200f) for 2 to 2`1/2 hours,, skim fat off the top as needed.........

I check it at 2 hr 30 minutes & had the brite idea to let it just cook along for a much longer time, as it seemed to keep smelling better & better as it went along......not such a good idea....it toughened up & was a bit chewy in the end........the fix was to chop it finer, add a very small amount of cider vinegar & a very small smattering of allspice & knead that back in...............

Running the batch under an immersion blender while still warm & pliable is a good idea, for a smoother texture............

So, I say to myself: "Follow the RECIPE, dumbass.... ::)"

The taste of this stuff is incredible & easily worth the time it takes to put it together !!!!

Here's a couple links for good ones folks have done.....where I got the ideas ~~>

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=60940&highlight=jam+bacon

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39433&highlight=jam+bacon

Warning: This link contains the single wildest food pic I've ever seen on the InterToob......
Pg. two of the thread..............

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=51608&highlight=jam+bacon

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Jeff

• WKC Performer
Re: Bacon Jam...................
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 12:53:40 PM »
Thanks for posting this Buckie.  Looks like it would be a really fun one, but I don't like onions...even though it probably cooks down to next to nothing.
Kettle collector AND cooker!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Bacon Jam...................
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 03:44:30 PM »

You could use maybe bell peppers or bump the liquids up a bit & just cook down the bacon.....think it would come out just fine!!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"