Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Food safety question  (Read 648 times)

SMOKE FREAK

  • WKC Ranger
  • Posts: 527
Re: Food safety question
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2018, 04:50:53 PM »
Here it goes. Heating a food to 165F will kill most if not all  food borne bacteria in existence.   The problem is bacteria will generate toxic proteins that cannot be killed(denatured) by cooking. The heat will kill the live bacteria but not the byproduct that was generated by the bacteria.  Play it safe.

This is where I was going to go...
Killing the nasties will generate a new version of nasties and that's not good...
It sucks but I'm glad to hear that ya tossed it...
Better safe than sorry...

getlego

  • Smokey Joe
  • Posts: 10
Re: Food safety question
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2018, 12:12:17 AM »

I got ragingly sick from food poisoning when I was a senior in HS.  Continuous evacuation from both ends at the same time was no fun.  I don't take chances on any doubtful food.  Its worth the extra time and money not to feel like I'm dying, for me anyway.  Be safe.

Agreed!!  I got horribly sick when I was middle school age on a piece of long john silvers fish. Not leftover.  Same symptoms. The sickest ive ever been.

I threw out the meatballs. Iím pretty religious about throwing out food that has set out too long.  I also throw out condiments and everything else that are past the date.  Drives my wife crazy on some things.

My question was mostly academic and I learned a lot from the discussion.


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app


Oh man my wife and I got sick from long john silvers one time. Needless to say the entire house smelled like rancid grease rotten fish for the entire weekend. And i'm describing that lightly as not to be gross.

Darko

  • WKC Performer
  • Posts: 3900
Re: Food safety question
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2018, 11:00:12 AM »
As Jules said, it isn't the bacteria, it's their "poop" that is the issue.

Jon

  • WKC Ranger
  • Posts: 1294
Re: Food safety question
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2018, 09:02:15 PM »
No. Cooked food when left out too long can harbor bacteria that produce toxins that heat will not destroy. So you won't get sick from the bacteria, but their toxins will be, well...toxic. And yeah - their poop or of course Long John Silvers.